Improving and updating safe systems
With over 20 years of experience in documentation and training development SSI have worked with many clients to develop and improve systems and processes.
Broadly drivers for improving or updating safe systems of work fall into the following categories, the first three are reactive whilst the last one is proactive:
- Legislative compliance
- Requirement of clients/stakeholders
- Onsite incidents and accidents
- Continuous improvement
Not everyone in the workplace has the same understanding of risks and hazard awareness. If people are exposed to poor systems and unstructured training then it can be a recipe for disaster.
Safe Work Australia release statistics each year looking at serious injury claims and fatalities:
Will documentation on its own fix and/or reverse these safety statistics?
The short answer is NO!
Documents may identify the risks associated with a task or an area, but they are only one part of the solution……besides who wants to bury themselves in paperwork?
“SSI are a customer focused company providing pragmatic advice. Always has clear understanding of target audience and tailors their services accordingly”
– large WA lead carbonate producer.
SSI advocates and employs a risk based approach with an occupational review to identify what activities are undertaken on site by the various work groups in the various areas.
Employing the hierarchy of control can help to rationalise these activities and decrease the amount of paperwork required.
SSI sees the critical path of the risk based approach incorporating:
- A review of risks and risk controls associated with identified activities
- Review of incident data for alignment
- Development/updating SWIs and where required competency assessments
- Training and assessing personnel
- Alignment with industry standard/s
“A very thorough service provided. Staff extremely helpful and willing to work through scenarios with customer to get the best outcome.”
– Large grain handling client (NSW)
An effective training system should provide:
- A systematic approach for identification of activities
- A risk based process used to identify critical and high risk tasks requiring practical competency assessment. Not all activities require the same level of training!
- A simplified (flattened) training structure as the system is competency based not task based
- A mechanism to capture and maintain knowledge in the system
- A clear flow from organisational risk through to individual duties
- Support for behavioural change
“The SSI team was very accommodating and understood the challenges we are facing, their support and diligence to follow up and communicate was much appreciated.”
- Large electricity power generator.
- Fully understand your training and competency needs?
- Have training that covers all your operational risks?
- Engage your staff with your training?
- Have the internal resources to adequately train and mentor your staff?
Training needs to be contextualised, engaging, practical and encompass relevant site and industry content. SSI works collaboratively with clients across all industries and business streams to remove the stress from this process, focussed on moving away from compliance towards continuous improvement.