SSI was recently contracted for technical writing services to a major lithium producer in Western Australia. Whilst engaged by the client, SSI saw opportunities to ‘value add’ to our normal service offerings.
In consultation with the client, SSI put forward an innovative solution to develop and manage corrective and preventative maintenance (PM) safe work instructions (SWIs). The inventive deliverable consists of a central data base to store all the SWIs inclusive of image locations, check sheets and site emergency information. The generator function on the data base collects information from relevant sources and produces a complete document in both Excel and PDF format at the click of a button. This includes images of the relevant work steps within the task automatically populating into the completed document once the SWI is generated.
Creative thinking by SSI staff, with a passion to be client-needs-focussed and not constrained by what is conventionally delivered, resulted in a superior system being provided to the client.
Key features include:
- Centralised location for all equipment maintenance information including maintenance SWIs, check sheets and images
- Pre-population of all common document inputs (uniformity of content, time and cost savings)
- Easy modification of documents by the end user with password protection to maintain integrity
- Functionality to print by batch or individual documents
- Automatic updates for required fields (Rev No, Rev Date, Next Rev Date, Last Rev Date)
- Escalation/approval process for when a document is changed
- Email notifications for documents due for review within an 8 week period
- Allocations of risk ratings to work steps (inherent and residual)
Many of the generator functions save time and remove the potential for incorrect information to be placed into critical safety documentation.
Most companies have a complex document management system that store numerous SWIs. Managing these documents, when there is a large-scale change such as a corporate logo, whole template or integral equipment change, can be a challenge given the number of documents involved. The functionality to make wholesale changes to a large number of documents and regenerate them with one keystroke has considerable potential for on-going time and cost savings.
“Client satisfaction survey rated SSI 10 out 10 for all six (6) service delivery areas polled, which included overall experience, technical competency of SSI staff and quality of provided products and services.”